German potatosalat is a potato salad dish that is popular in Germany. This German potato salad recipe is easy to follow and yields a delicious and flavorful potato salad. While there are various kinds of potato salads around the world the German potato salad is unique in its own way.
Table of Contents
- What is Authentic German Potato Salad made of?
- How did the German Potato Salad start in Germany?
- Is it hot or cold?
- What are the main ingredients needed to make german potato salad?
- How to make German Potato Salad:
- What can I eat with German potato salad?
- Storing leftovers
- How do I serve this salad?
- What goes well with German Potato Salad?
- Can I make this ahead of time?
- What are some variations of this recipe?
- Can I make this with apple cider vinegar?
- How long should I boil potatoes?
- How do I peel boiled potatoes?
- Can I use red potatoes?
- Why are the eggs should not be boiled?
- Useful Tips:
What is Authentic German Potato Salad made of?
The ingredients for German potato salad vary a bit by region, but it typically contains potatoes, bacon, onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Some variations also include apple, carrot, or celery. The salad is often served chilled or cold.
How did the German Potato Salad start in Germany?
The potato salad wasn’t always the favorite dish of Germans. Originally the salad was introduced to Germany by French chefs, but after World War II it became more popular in its native country.
Is it hot or cold?
This German potato salad is best served cold but equally delicious served warm as a hot german potato salad. It’s an appetizer that goes well with any meal.
What are the main ingredients needed to make german potato salad?
To make the authentic German potato salad you will need potatoes, bacon, onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt. You can also add in apple, carrot, or celery if desired.
The German potato salad is best enjoyed cold as an appetizer or side dish to any meal. The ingredients are simple and easy to follow. Impress your friends and family with this delicious and traditional German potato salad.
How to make German Potato Salad:
8 -10 medium potatoes
6 ounces center-cut bacon
1 medium onion
2 eggs (not boiled)
2/3 cup of vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup beef stock or 1/2 cup broth
4 garlic gloves
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper
Cook potatoes with the skin
When the cooked potatoes have cooled enough to handle, remove the skins and dice them into approximately 1/2″ cubes.
Place them into a large bowl and add the chopped celery.
Chop the bacon and mince the garlic finely, and cook them together in a saute pan until the bacon has browned.
Chop the onion and add to the bacon mixture. Saute over medium-low heat stirring frequently until the onions start becoming translucent.
Mix together the vinegar, sugar, beef stock, eggs, salt, pepper, and mustard in a medium bowl or large measuring cup until the eggs are well incorporated and the sugar is dissolved.
Add to the pan with the bacon mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbling and thickened.
Pour over the potatoes and mix together well.
What can I eat with German potato salad?
It’s delicious with grilled pork chops or chicken steak or other main courses
This dish should be kept in the refrigerator for approximately two days. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
If you want an authentic german appetizer on your meal or feast. The German potato salad is the best option. It is quite easy to make although it takes some time but it surely goes well with any of your main dishes. So, why don’t you try making some and enjoy with your family and friends!
How do I serve this salad?
You can serve this salad cold as an appetizer or side dish to any meal. If you prefer a hot german potato salad, you can serve it right away after cooking.
What goes well with German Potato Salad?
This dish pairs well with any main course, but is especially tasty with German cuisine. You can also pair it with grilled sausages, roast pork, or even Schweinebraten (roast pork).
Can I make this ahead of time?
This salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days before serving.
What are some variations of this recipe?
Some variations of this recipe include adding apple, carrot, or celery if desired. Some German potato salad recipes also call for pickles and hard-boiled eggs.
Can I make this with apple cider vinegar?
If you don’t have white vinegar, try substituting apple cider vinegar. It has a somewhat milder flavor than White Vinegar. It’s not nearly as sour. When preparing the German potato salad, try mixing 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar with just 1-2 cups water instead of the usual 3 cups vinegar to 2 cups water ratio.
How long should I boil potatoes?
Set up a timer for 10 minutes when water boils. Then test the completion by cutting a potato with a fork. When the fork easily penetrates them without difficulties, they’re ready. Once they’re cooked, immediately rinse them with cold water.
How do I peel boiled potatoes?
Place the cold potatoes in a mixing bowl and roughly mash with hands and masher or hand mixer. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to bring out some moisture from the peeled potatoes. This ensures that your potato salad is not watery. Drain the extra water and proceed to mix in the other ingredients.
Can I use red potatoes?
If you are looking for a firmer potato salad, use red potatoes. They don’t fall apart as easily as other types of potatoes when boiled. When diced, they also hold their shape nicely.
Why are the eggs should not be boiled?
The mustard in this German potato salad recipe is what helps the eggs become incorporated into the dish. If you boil the eggs, they will harden and make it difficult to stir them throughout the other ingredients without breaking them up.
- Try using unboiled eggs to make the salad easier to stir together, but be sure to chop them finely.
- Add one teaspoon of white wine vinegar for every cup of water used in boiling the potatoes to give them more flavor.
- If you’re looking for a firmer potato salad, use red potatoes. They don’t fall apart as easily as other types of potatoes when boiled. You can also use Yukon gold potatoes for a creamier salad.
- If you don’t have a potato masher, a metal whisk works great for mashing the potatoes.
- If you’re short on time, you can dice the boiled potatoes before adding them to the salad.
- You can other kinds of vinegar like apple cider vinegar to taste.
- You can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Use a fork to gauge doneness when boiling potatoes. If the fork easily penetrates them, they’re done. Immediately rinse with cold water.
- You can add other ingredients like apples, carrots, and celery to the salad for added taste.
- You can use Dijon mustard for a more intense flavor.
- You can add fresh parsley for color.
- Drain bacon grease after cooking and before adding mayonnaise