Want to explore the capital of Bavaria? Munich is a fantastic city to explore in Bavaria. It is a home bless with beauty and a lovey destination because there are many wonderful attracts in Munich waiting to be discovered!
Munich is a rich destination in history, home to historical infrastructures and museums, a timeless city known for its incredible annual celebration of Oktoberfest, and home to countless breweries that serve the best classic German beer.
This lovely historic and blessed with attraction town provides a memorable travel experience in Bavaria. What are you waiting for?
Check out the list of the best attractions and top things to do in Munich that you can not miss in a great adventure below.
Top Things to do in Munich, Germany
Address: Munich, Germany
Rating: 4.7 out of 5
The English Garden, also known as the English Landscape Garden, is so named because it began in England, an English country, before spreading through parts of Europe successively. The natural style of the garden was designed and engineered by the eminent English architect William Kent (1684-1748). Inspirations for Kent’s design of the garden came from the landscape paintings of Claude Lorrain and Nicholas Poussin.
Sometimes in the 17th century, a Chinese structure was introduced into the garden, which would later be referred to as the Anglo-Chinese Garden. In the mid-1700s also, a Gothic revival ruin was incorporated into the garden.
This idea emanated when Horace Walpole, an inhabitant of the garden, first brought the gothic revival features into his own garden and house. Also, in the 17th century, around 1740 and 1753, the Hawkwelle Hill was added to the garden, pioneered by Capability Brown.
The spread of the English Garden first began in France when Abbe La Blanc had brought the garden’s description to France for France’s own replication of the garden—what would later be known as the French Landscape Garden. Then, the English Garden also went to Germany, and further, it kept spreading to other European countries as Poland and Russia, etc.
The English Gardens have sections that portray the following: Pinetum, the grotto of Capability Brown, Howkwell Hill with a Gothic temple, bridge and mausoleum, pantheon, etc.
The English Landscape Garden would later be a great influence on the designs of public parks, majorly in the 19th century.
Address: Marienplatz, 80331 München, Germany
Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Translated to English, Marienplatz simply means Mary’s Square. The central square happens to be Munich’s main square up until now even, since 1158.
The current name the place bears was issued in 1854 after it’d previously been known as Markt (“market”), Schranne (“grain market”), then Schrannenplatz (“grain market square”). In those times, before its current name was given, the place used to be used as a venue for trading, as tournament grounds, and as a venue for festive celebrations.
The square got its name “Marienplatz” from the Marian Colum, Mariensaule, located in the center of the square. The Marian column was built in 1638 at the end of the Swedish occupation.
The Marienplatz square was a product of Henry Lion’s findings. Towards the east of Marienplatz today stands the Old City Hall, and to the north side of the square is the New City Hall, which has a Glockenspiel in its tower.
The New Town Hall is about 300-foot tall, and it was built between the years 1867 and 1909 in a Flanders Gothic fashion. In the square, these could be found:
- A restaurant
- A shopping avenue is known as Kaufingerstrasse, where items could be purchased.
- The town tower of Frauenkirch.
- The Christmas Market, otherwise called Christkindlmark, which is open during the Christmas seasons, and from which Christmas items and decors or presents could be purchased. In addition to the view, the square displayed is its closeness to the English Garden, where one could go and catch a beautiful view of nature.
See Related: Best German Gifts
Address: Marienplatz 8, 80331 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The Fish’s Fountain situates at Marienplatz, Munchen, Germany, was constructed into what it now is from 1862 to 1865 by Konrad Knoll and started operation sometime in September 1866.
Water flowed consistently from bronze sculptures designed to resemble fishes, butcher builders, musical children, senior journeymen, etc. Away from the Mangfall Valley since 1884, water has been flowing out of the fountain.
World War II inflicted serious destructions on the fountain in 1944. A whole lot of sculptures were lost. Joseph Henselmann, however, rebuilt the fountain around 1954 using only the four sculptures of butcher builders and three sculptures of musicians of the Knoll Fountain that were spared during the war.
The fountain today has a Nagelfuh basin with a central column crowned by a bronze fish. This bronze fish sculpture at the central column was a symbolism when Marienplatz served as a trading ground, where fishmongers sampled their living fishes in baskets left in freshwater.
The fountain was renovated in 1991 and most recently in 2011. During its renovation of 1991, a channel was made for the Munchin dogs to drink water.
Some notable traditions of the people of the place that the fountain aims to portray include:
(a) Butchering: This tradition could be referred to as a certain kind of baptism. Here, for the butcher’s apprentices to be freed, they had first to throw themselves into the body of water and resurrect themselves back from the water. Upon their submersion, valuable items are brought up to the water body. This practice was believed to have cleaned the apprentices from the sins of their youth.
(b) Wallet Washing: This happens on Ash Wednesday when the priest washes the wallet in the water body.
Address: Residenzstraße 1, 80333 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The Residenz, which in English is translated as “The Resident,” is the place that used to be known as the royal palace of Bavaria’s Wittelsbach Monarch. It is the biggest of all city palaces in Germany, having a sum of 130 rooms and ten courtyards.
The very first building to be raised in this place was in 1385. The Munich town sponsored the building as a sanction for an unsuccessful revolution attempt against Stephen III and his junior brother. The huge construction of the palace wasn’t at once made.
It took several years, decades, centuries, and it didn’t happen in sequential order even: in chunks, at different locations of the site, this was achieved. The Residence is an assemblage of different styles: the Baroque, the Neo-Classicism, and the Rococo styles.
In the year 1470, fortress walls and the north side gate were constructed, pioneered by Albert IV. Following these constructions was the later construction of dual turrets around the same period.
The almighty palace is divided into three sections:
(a) The Alte Residenz: This section of the palace consists of ten courtyards, of which include: Kapellenhof (Chapel courtyard), Konigsbauho (king’s courtyard), Apothekenhop (Apothecary courtyard), Puderhofchen (small power courtyard), etc.
(b) Konigsbau: This section of the palace contains so many rooms, some of which include: State Apartment of Ludwig, Nibelungen Halls, etc.
(c) Festsaalbau: This section of the palace stands toward the Hofgarten. In this section, the Cuvillies Theatre can be found.
Address: Olympiapark, Spiridon-Louis-Ring 7, 80809 München, Germany
Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Height – 955ft
Weight – 52,500 tons
Olympiaturm, known in English as the Olympic Tower, was constructed in the year 1968. The tower is located just before the city center. This gives it a certain kind of grace such that one islet to see an aerial view of the Olympic Park. Primarily, the Olympiaturm is a TV tower.
It also happens to be one of the most emblematic buildings of the city of Munich and the tallest building the state has in its entirety, too.
Tourists and visitors are often drawn to the tower, having that it has a lot of mind-blowing and eye-catching attractions to it. Of course, you’d most probably be left with no choice other than to go see what building is almost touching the skies.
The tower is a deck for observation and viewing of the serene, a revolving restaurant that is 181 meters above ground level, and a museum of rock n roll. Yeah, you heard right, a rock n roll museum! The platform for observation of the serene has a height of 190 meters above ground level.
Literarily, being here makes it feel like you’re in the skies already like you can just reach out to the clouds with your fingers and feel it. Exhibitions here include tickets, pictures, newspaper articles, stage outfits, and instruments, etc.
Address: Hofgartenstraße 1, 80538 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The Hofgarten is a court garden constructed by the elector of Bavaria, Maximilian I, in the years between 1613 and 1617. The garden is situated at the heart of Munich, neighbored by the Residenz and Englischer Garten. The style of the garden imitates the Italian Renaissance garden, which is of the baroque style.
What you’d find in the middle of the garden is the Dianatempel, the temple pavilion of the goddess Diana. The pavilion was designed and erected in the early 1600s by Heinrich Schon, the elder.
As the case was with so many other properties in existence at the time, the Hofgarten garden was destroyed during the Second World War. After the war, however, movements began to reenact the garden. So the garden was rebuilt, but not exactly as it used to be.
The new design encountered some modifications that comprised both the landscape garden features of the 19th century and the original design of the 17th century.
The garden is quite famous and is usually open to the public for recreational or survey purposes. Attractants to the garden include nicely designed alleys and walking paths, and relaxation units neatly kept flower beds and trees, water fountains, statues, monuments, and the landmark itself.
To the east of the garden is the Bayerische Staatskanzlei, the Bavarian State Chancellery, where the Minister-President head of government’s office is situated.
See Related: Best Breweries in Dusseldorf
Address: Spiridon-Louis-Ring 21, 80809 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The Olympiapark is situated in Munich, Germany, and was built due to the Olympics (Games of the XX Olympiad) that was to hold in the summer of 1972.
“Olympiapark” is so named in attempts to categorize the four Olympia sub-areas the park occupies. These sub-areas are the Olympic Village, the Olympic Park, Olympic Area, and Olympia-Pressestadt. Also, the name of the park resulted from the idea that the name was better suited for the purpose of the park, which was in line with the theme “green Olympic Games.”
The park’s location is at the borough of Milbertshofen-Am Hart, very close to where the headquarters of BMW is situated.
The construction of the Olympic Park began in 1968 and was concluded in 1972. Gunther Behnisch, an architectural company, designed the structure, and the cost of running the project amounted to about 1.35 billion German marks.
The station was closed down after the Olympic Summer of 1972 and was only occasionally used as a venue for very few events.
The Olympic stadium, which is contained in the Olympic Area sub-division of the park, holds about 69,000 visitors, reducing the 80,000 it initially held in the beginning. The reason for this reduction was to prevent the risk of insecurity.
The Munish Olympic Walk of Stars, built in 2003 under the sub-division of the Olympia-Pressestadt, is such a beautiful serene to behold, resembling the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Celebrities who visit this part of the park often leave their signatories on the wall.
See Related: How to Find Cheap Flights to Germany
Address: Schloß Nymphenburg 1, 80638 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The Nymphenburg Palace was constructed in the baroque style and is resident in Neubausen-Nymphenburg, Bavaria. The construction began in the year 1664 and was completed in 1675.
The palace was designed by Agostino Barelli, supported by other designers as Enric Zucalli, Giovanni Antonio, Viscardi, and Joseph Effner. Limestone was primarily the material used in erecting the structure.
With time, the palace gradually attained its hugeness and, as such, was able to overshadow the nearby Blutenburg Castle. Maximilian Emmanuel, Bavaria’s next ruler in 1701 after his father, began modifying the palace, adding two more pavilions.
Pilasters were used to design the center of the pavilion’s façade into the French Baroque Style by Joseph Effner in 1716. The court stables were built in 1719.
Generally, as of 1750, Nymphenburg Palace had a new look, thanks to Holy Roman Emperor Charles VII Albert’s desire to see the palace changed into a newer glory. Charles VII Albert was Maximilian Emmanuel’s son and next heir of Bavaria after Maximilian.
The palace, as of today, is open to visitors, even if it still is the chancery of the House of Wittelsbach’s head. Some rooms in the palace have been redesigned into some other styles, while others still preserve their old look. In the center of the pavilion is Stone Hall, otherwise called The Steinerner Saal.
On its ceiling mural is the portrait of the god Helios in his chariot and other gods following him. The palace comprises lakes and gardens, notably the Northern Cabinet Garden.
Pavilions in the garden include: The Pagodenburg, The Amalienburg, The Bandenburg, The Magdalenekelause, The Apollotemple, etc.
Visiting the Nymphenburg Palace is a great thing to do when visiting Germany as well as checking out an array of things to do in Potsdam.
See Related: Best Castles in Germany to Visit
Address: Königsplatz 3, 80333 München, Germany
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Glyptothek is a museum standing in Munich, Germany, and was built between the years of 1816 and 1830. Leo von Klenze designed the museum structure following a commission by King Ludwig, who was then king over the territory.
The purpose of King Ludwig’s interest in carrying on with the project was because he needed a dwelling place for the Greek and Roman busts he was in possession of. The museum’s style was patterned in the Neoclassical style. When King Ludwig was commissioning for the project, he hoped to see a German kind of Athen.
The museum was reopened in January of 2021 after a three-year lockdown for the purpose of renovations. A second phase of the renovation is currently ongoing and is believed to end in the summer of the same year, 2021. Visiting Glyptothek is one of the best things to do not only in Munich but also in Germany and enjoying things to do in Ulm and other beautiful places in the country.
The museum’s portico is ionic, and the outer walls have niches where up to eighteen original sculptures from Rome and Greece are displayed. There are thirteen rooms in the museum, and each has a geometrical frame between the rectangular, box, and circular shapes. These rooms surround the vestibule.
Collections in the museum are categorized into:
(a) Archaic Period: period ranging from 700-490BC. Here are sculptures of Munich Kouros, Kouros of Tenea, and temple items from Aegina.
(b) Classical Period: houses artifacts between 490-323BC. Here are portraits of Homer, the statue of Diomedes, Medusa Rondanini, etc.
(c) Hellenistic Period: This grouping samples items from 323-146 BC.
(d) Roman Period: Samples items from 150BC-550AD.
Address: Am Olympiapark 2, 80809 München, Germany
Rating: 4.6 out of 5
The BMW automobile museum was built in the year 1973, very close to the Olympiapark of Munich, Germany. The idea of the BMW museum is to display the company’s technical advancements in exhibits.
Such exhibits to be found in the museum include actual and futuristic models of engines, aircraft, motorcycles, turbines, and vehicles of different designs the company has either constructed already or hopes to construct in the future.
Prof. Karl Schwanzer was the architect who designed the complex, eminent building of the museum. The building is shaped to resemble a race car’s engine, appearing circular externally and having as a roof the beautiful face of the BMW logo. The building is so intricately crafted.
In the basement of the building is a cloakroom. On the upper floor of the museum, there is a cinema hall (a small one) and other exhibits that throw light on the company’s technology.
There are a total number of one hundred and twenty exhibits housed in the museum. Currently, due to the extended COVID-19 lockdown, the museum is temporarily closed and is expected to resume operations on the 30th of April.
A trip to the museum is one step to experiencing the power of tech, to learn modern and old technology regarding automobiles first-hand.
Address: Prinzregentenstraße, 80538 München, Germany
Rating: 4.7 out of 5
The Eisbachwelle is a small artificial river with artificial currents implanted on one side of the river. The manmade river is an extension of the River Isar and flows through Englischer Garten.
The river is located in Bavaria, Germany, and is about 2 kilometers long. From 2007 to 2017, the river has swallowed up to eight persons, so swimming in the river isn’t really permitted.
The river is an excellent place to surf, given the construction of artificial waves. So one needn’t necessarily go to the sea to surf; a visit to Eistachwelle works that.
The river forms a stationary wave at a particular part of the river, and the spot has become the most enjoyable spot for the surfers’ People are advised not to surf on the river as a result of the forceful current emanating from it not to be a victim.
The wave has been forced to break more neatly to have the height longer enough and form a U shape arc. This they achieved by attaching ropes to the bridge very close to the surfing spot so that its trails submerge planks.
The second stationary wave at Eisbachwelle is quite slow because that part of the river is wide, and the current of the wave isn’t so demanding. It is here that upcoming surfers usually retreat to practicing their surfing skills because it is safer for them here.
Address: Königsplatz 1, 80333 München, Germany
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Translated into English to mean “King’s Square,” Konigsplatz is an open square established in the 1900s in the city of Munich, Germany. The structure of the square was constructed in the Neoclassicism style of Europe. The square is surrounded by the Propyaen gate, Glyptothek and Staatliche Antikensammlungen.
Karl von Fischer designed the structure of Konigsplatz, and Leo von Klenze contracted the building. Due to its beauty, the square was the ground used by the Nazi party in the time of the Third Reich for their mass rallies and meetings. Towards the east part of the square, two Ehrentempels were raised in the neo-Greek style. The temples were for the Nazis (about sixteen in number) who died during the Nazi’s failed cope de etat attempt.
In 1941, however, both buildings were brought low by the army of the United States. But till date, the both temple’s platform remains joined with the other two buildings designed by Paul Troost, close to the two demolished buildings. One such building is currently used as a music and theatre school, and the other keeps a few institutions.
Movements began just after the war came to closure for the rebuilding of the square. In no lesser time, the square appeared the same way it had been in the past.
What are your favorite things to do in Munich?